What is SOCA?
Supporters of Camp Archbald is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
Our mission is an association of Girl Scouts that seeks to support and preserve Camp Archbald for Girl Scouting.
Update: As of July 29th, 2020, Girl Scouts in the Heart of PA, owners of Camp Archbald, have announced that Camp Archbald is no longer under review and camp has been saved from being sold! Read the official decision announcement here. Read SoCA’s press release regarding the decision here.
Supporters of Camp Archbald (SoCA) is a 501 (c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to ensuring that future Girl Scouts, along with alumni, supporters, families and the surrounding community, have access to the amazing opportunities and resources that camp has to offer. We exist to ensure that Camp Archbald remains the beautiful and historic property it is today.
When news spread in January 2018 that there was a possible sale of Camp Archbald, 10,000 alumni signed a petition in a few weeks. Some of those alumni are now members of SoCA and help with tasks to ensure continued usage and function of the camp.
Our goals are:
- To promote clear, open, and honest communication between Girl Scout membership, the board and administration of GSHPA.
- To encourage, promote, and provide increased quality programming at the camp.
- To prevent the sale of camp land. (Check! Effective 7/29/20)
- To preserve Camp Archbald acreage for Girl Scout use for the safety of all concerned.
- To protect and repair historic camp properties.
- To reach out to alumni and scouts for assistance in supporting and protecting Camp Archbald.
- To plan for the 100th Anniversary celebration of Camp Archbald in 2020. (Check! Completed 9/18/21)
To meet these goals, we need:
- Clear, open, and honest communication with the board and administration of GSHPA.
- Accurate accounting of the costs to operate Camp Archbald, including deferred maintenance costs. This will help us plan to meet those needs.
- Accurate statistics of camp usage. This will help us to determine how to increase usage of camp to meet GSHPA usage goals.
- To raise funds, both directly and with council support, to support Camp Archbald.
We are concerned about:
- Over $3 million in gas lease royalties have been collected by GSHPA from Camp Archbald, but no specific funds have been set aside for the camp.
- The impact of the closure of camp on the local community.
- We believe that many girls would not be able to attend camp without Camp Archbald. We want every girl to have the best outdoor opportunities possible.
- Our committees are always looking for help. Check out our list of committees listed below and contact the person in charge to see how you can help!
Leaders of SoCA
Finance – Vacant – email@example.com
MarComm – Emily Loder – firstname.lastname@example.org
Research and History – Noah Penny – email@example.com
Property – Pat Acker – firstname.lastname@example.org
Membership – April Caruso – email@example.com
Program/Events – Holly Legate – firstname.lastname@example.org
Fundraising – Vacant – email@example.com
Legal – Eileen Head – firstname.lastname@example.org
Resident Camp – Jamie Puchalski – email@example.com
Board of Directors
- Meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held regularly and, at least, four (4) times per year. Special meetings may be called and held at any time by the Board of Directors, upon written or electronic request
- Provides the overall direction/structure/responsibility for SOCA
- Makes final decisions
- Appoints committees
- Appoints new board members
- Amends or repeal bylaws or adopt new bylaws
- Approves any transaction
- Consists of the president, vice president, secretary, treasurer and a committee chair
- The executive committee may convene as needed to respond to current operational requests and corporate functions. These decisions are binding on behalf of the board
- Provides guidance with tax reporting, annual strategic plan/calendar, meeting, agendas, etc.
- Provides the direction and leadership for their committee
- Meets or communicates monthly with their respective committees
- Gives status of monthly activities to the board
- Should demonstrate interconnectivity between and among the other committees
- Meets every other month with the executive officers
- Not necessarily a board member
- Oversaw by a chair, who reports back to the SoCA Board of Directors
- Meets or communicates monthly or more as needed
- Committee meetings are where work gets discussed/planned/connected
- Members are not necessarily board members
- Meets a few times a year
- Purpose is to connect new members/awareness for committees/events
- Each committee gives an update and report – share 2 months of events coming/annual calendar updates, be transparent about our efforts (funds, how we work)
Nicole Morristell – President – (preferred method of contact: Facebook Messenger or email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Eileen Head – Vice President – (email@example.com)
Laura O’Malley – Secretary – (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Gail Rees – Treasurer – (email@example.com)
Committee Chair Criteria
- Properly represent SoCA and adhere to the purpose and mission
- Must be a currently registered Girl Scout, with appropriate clearances with Girl Scouts in the Heart of PA (GSHPA). They are required for camping and being around girls
- Understand the scope and work of their respective committee and agree to work with and understand all of the other committees and how they can support each other
- Have strong organization and communication skills. Fellow committee members must understand their involvement and not interfere over other committees
- Must communicate ideas/concepts/fundraisers of their respective committee to SoCA officers and fellow committee chairs BEFORE implementing and sharing with the SoCA general membership
- Must attend committee meetings or appoint a representative to attend on a regular basis
Committee Member Criteria
- Properly represent SoCA and adhere to the purpose and mission
- Consider registering as a Girl Scout, with the appropriate clearances from GSHPA
- Should understand the scope and work of your respective committee and must agree to work with and understand all of the other committees and how they can support each other
- Understand the work needed within your respective committee without interfering in the work of other committees
- Must communicate ideas/concepts/fundraisers to their respective committee chair, BEFORE implementing or sharing with the SoCA general membership
- Attend committee meetings as needed
Finance Chair – OPEN
- Works directly with the Treasurer
- Serves as a double-check for the finance record keeping
- Promotes financial transparency
- Serves as the first step in the reimbursement/finance approval process; receives the finance forms, records them, signs off, passes them along to the Treasurer
- Writes/updates the ‘Finance and Fundraising Policies and Procedures’
- Manage and maintain all social media outlets including but not limited to the website, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.
- To monitor, record and share important news features about Camp Archbald and SoCA
- To create promotional materials for distribution
- Responsible for drafting communications, official correspondences, and public statements on behalf of SoCA for distribution to the public
- Responsible for the SoCA logo and use of branded materials
- To obtain historical information about Camp Archbald, the camp’s connections to the purpose and growth of Girl Scouting, and the overall place of Camp Archbald in the broader history of the Girl Scout camping movement
- Provide support to other committees in obtaining documents that demonstrate the reasons the camp was founded, the aims of the original council, Scranton Pocono Council, in growing and maintaining the property, and the value of preserving that property for future generations of girls
- Create a digital archive preserving copies of documents and photographs that relate to Camp Archbald
- In conjunction with GSHPA, volunteers and contractors, develop a multiyear maintenance plan based on conservation and sustainability principles
- Pursue future conservation easement alternatives
- Work towards the creation of a an adopt a unit maintenance plan
- Work towards the creation of a camp welcoming committee for those who rent camp
Events/Program – Holly Legate
(Preferred method of contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- To maintain the partnership with GSHPA to increase programming held at Camp Archbald
- To create/implement/support any and all programs that will benefit Camp Archbald, including camporees, events, overnights, summer camps, etc.
- To find and manage volunteers for SoCA led programs and events
Membership – April Caruso
(Preferred method of contact: Facebook messenger)
- To maintain the membership directory of SoCA
- To assist SoCA by attending events for enrolling new members
- To complete data entry of information gathered at in person events
- Research and secure alumni and former campers
- Help maintain the Facebook group membership list
Fundraising – OPEN
- To create and execute fundraising plans for the long- and short-term financial goals of SoCA
- To organize and oversee campaigns and solicitations
- To create and maintain fundraising forms and policies
- Help to designate and oversee funds brought in from fundraising events
Resident Camp – Jamie Puchalski
(Preferred method of contact: email@example.com)
- To create and execute all aspects of a two-week resident camp
Final Approved 2/23/2023 NM