Have a question? E-mail us at residentcampforsoca@gmail.com

What does it cost to attend camp? It depends on the programs she chooses. See the program listing on the main resident camp page.

What day does camp registration end? Camp for 2020 has been cancelled. When camp 2021 runs, registration will close on June 1st, 2021.

When is the money due and is there an option to make a payment installment to reserve a spot for my camper? The only money that is due upon registration is a $25 non-refundable deposit to reserve her spot. If you do not pay the deposit within 2 weeks, her spot will be given up. You can pay the rest when and however you want to (see camp page), but the full amount (and all registrations) are due by June 1st. Financial aid is also available.

Do you offer refunds? Full refunds, excluding the non refundable $25 deposit, will be given up to the close of registration on June 1st. After June 1st, only 50% refunds, excluding the deposit, will be given up until June 26th. After June 26th, no refunds will be given. No exceptions.

What if I want to sign up my camper after the deadline of June 1st? Late registrations may be accepted up until June 26th if there is room available. For late registrations, all monies must be paid in full via PayPal or Venmo only. Please email residentcampforsoca@gmail.com to inquire about late registrations.

Is there a sibling discount? Not at this time.

Are the meals covered in cost? Of course! The costs are all inclusive. Food, lodging, activities, etc.

What other expenses are involved? Aside from maybe purchasing some gear for camp like a sleeping bag or mess kit (on your own), the only money you need to pay to us is the camp fee. If your child is not a registered Girl Scout, there is a fee of $25 per girl, but otherwise that’s it! Some parents choose to leave $5-$10 for the trading post account in which campers can purchase fun items and candy throughout the week.

Can my camper and her sister be sharing the same cabin if the option is available? This is available if they are attending the same program (based on grade) On the registration form there is a section to request a bunk mate. We will do our best to accommodate all requests. Campers are assigned bunks once their deposit is paid.

My camper doesn’t know how to swim. Will someone in charge be informed and possibly offer them swimming lessons? Not a problem! Girls get tested on the first day of camp to see what their swimming capabilities are. Once determined their level, they get assigned a swim cap color. Only certain colors are allowed in certain areas (based on the depth of the lake). There are always 2-3 lifeguards at the waterfront at all times plus watchers. Girls get free swim time plus lessons each day. If girls need help with swimming, they can ask one of the lifeguards to instruct them during free swim. During boating they are required to wear a life jacket and be with a counselor at all times.

Will there be a counselor assigned to each age group to ensure that my camper will not wander from their group? Of course! There are never less than two counselors per unit, although for the younger kids there are usually 3-4 (depending on our volunteer availability).

Is the camp accredited by the American Camp Association? Currently, no.

Do counselors have criminal background checks? First aid training? Yes, all staff have criminal background checks and some have First Aid and CPR as well as other certifications.

What’s the ratio of camp counselors to campers? It depends on the age, but we follow the Girl Scouts in the Heart of PA ratios. All ratios can be found here (under the knowing how many volunteers you need section).

What medical staff work at the camp and what backup facilities are nearby? There is a minimum of one nurse on site at all times, sometimes two. In case of emergency, there is a medical clinic ten minutes away in Montrose.

What is the approach to discipline and how does camp handle conflicts between campers? On the first day of camp we remind the girls how they should be handling themselves. Girls are also reminded that they have signed a code of conduct as part of their registration. If there is a conflict, we encourage the girls to work it out between themselves first. If they need additional help, a counselor will sit down with both girls to encourage positive communication and try to solve the problem. If the problem persists, the Camp Director becomes involved in the conversation and, if needed, the parent/guardian. 

What does a typical daily schedule look like? You can find it on our website here. It may change slightly, but it will mostly stay the same.

Will the camp be transporting the children? Depends on the program. Campers will either be transported in a 12 passenger van or a school bus. This option is only available for older girls.

What vehicles are used and how often are they inspected? SoCA will be renting a 12-passenger van which only 25 and older drivers will be driving. The school bus is from a licensed and insured rental company.

Who drives them and what training do drivers have? Camp staff who are assigned to specific programs will be driving the 12 passenger van as needed. The bus driver will be contracted through the rental company. All drivers have a valid and current driver’s license. 

Can the girls call home when they want? We try not to encourage or allow that. If a girl is upset and she calls home, it just reinforces that she wants to be with her parents and may not want to stay at camp the whole time. We try not to send girls home if at all possible. If they can make it to the end of the week, they are usually happy about it and glad they stayed. However, if a girl is inconsolable and the nurse recommends it, then yes, she can call home. Girls should not have their cell phones off airplane mode and should therefore not be calling home.

What should they bring with them to camp? You will be sent a packing list as it gets closer to camp. She will need clothes and basic camping supplies like a sleeping bag and flashlight. We encourage sticking to the list. She will have to carry some of her stuff to her unit, so packing light is best.

Is the camp director available by phone at all times? The confirmation sheet you will receive as it gets closer to the camp start date contains multiple contact numbers in case of emergency.

What is the policy about care packages, letters from home, and so forth? Mail is encouraged! You can bring it all with you and leave it with staff with a note to deliver it on specific days, or you can mail it from home while camp is in session. Additionally, girls are encouraged to write home as well. Pens, postcards, stamps, etc. are sold at the trading post so girls can purchase if they forgot something. The following items should not be sent in care packages: food and drinks (especially candy and sweets), medicines, aerosols or anything else flammable, electronics (extra batteries are ok), nothing sentimental or valuable that could not be replaced if lost or damaged.

How can I keep track of my camper’s progress? That’s not really a thing at camp. The way resident camp works is you drop off on Sunday and pick up on Friday. She may mail you letters throughout the week letting you know what she is doing, but the whole point of sleep away camp is to encourage time away from family so that they can make a whole new set of friends and learn a bunch of new skills. Once you pick them up on Friday, girls will not stop talking about how much fun they had until they go to bed that night, and then for the next 2 weeks! 🙂  

How are children grouped together? By program they sign up for, which is organized by grade.

What happens if my kids are sick? We have a nurse who will take care of them and (if you give permission) can give them over the counter medications to make them feel better. They can be taken to the doctor or hospital if needed. If it is an emergency you will be contacted and tell us what you would like us to do.

How much camper-to-camper interaction will there be? 24 hours a day for 6 days. The girls do get rest hour every day after lunch and of course sleep time at night. There are times when they are doing certain activities (like rest hour) that if your camper needs a break from other campers, she can take it.

Are counselors adults or teens in a counselor-in-training program? We will have counselors in training that will be in units with girls, however, because they are under 18 they are not allowed to be left alone with girls and are still considered campers themselves. All counselors are at least 18 years old.

What is the camp’s approach to supervision? All girls are supervised at all times by a staff member. The only time they may not be is if the unit is somewhere around camp and your camper forgets something in the unit (like a bathing suit), they are allowed to go and get it, but they must take a buddy with them. No camper is allowed around camp without a buddy or staff member.

Will campers be restricted to general areas or free to roam? Girls will not be roaming free and will be either with a counselor or buddy at all times. They have a schedule they follow everyday that will determine where they go and when (see above link).

Will water be accessible? Always, and girls are encouraged to always have a water bottle with them at all times.

When do campers eat? Everyone at camp eats at the same time for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Plus, they always have access to food if needed outside of their 3 meals and 1 snack a day.

Are there any items that are prohibited for girls at camp? Outside food and drinks, cell phones and tablets (please leave these at home all together), firearms (adults may also not bring these on camp property), alcohol, tobacco and drugs (also not allowed for adults on camp property). All medications must be in their original, labelled containers and given to camp staff at check in (girls should not be carrying or using medication without an adult present). Additionally, if girls are bringing equipment for archery or fishing, this must also be surrendered to staff at check in and will be stored in a secure location when not being used for an approved activity.